Recently, on a cold, New England afternoon, we were sitting in our conference room reviewing our menus and events when Tim mentioned he would just love a big bowl of steaming soup. Mick, Brian and Bob all agreed that soup would be just the right food for just that moment. Of course, we could have headed out to our commissary for our traditional clam chowdah. (How do YOU say it?), or Tim’s special vegetable stew. But then we thought we might like to find out what our fans are cooking up for soup these days. So, we put out a request on our Facebook page and on Twitter asking folks to share their favorite soup recipes.
We are very grateful to everyone who sent along their family recipes. Here is one we would like to share with you today.
“Oh, do I have a soup for you!
Please keep in mind that I come from a large family and exact measurements are pretty much up to the individual’s tastes.
We call this recipe…. PIZZA SOUP”
- 5 lbs.* Beef stewing meat
- 3 TBS Butter
- 2 lbs.* Onions (yellow not sweet)
- 3 lg cans of Whole Tomatoes (nothing with seasonings and if you prefer to use diced or crushed that is fine, too)
- 1-2 cups of Water (optional – you may NOT require)
- 1 pint of Heavy All-Purpose cream OR Half-and-Half (plain, no flavor)
- 4-5 cups of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
* Braise beef in butter in large stock pot
* Add onions and sauté until tender
* Add the tomatoes
* Allow this mixture to simmer for 2-3 hours (the longer the better as the stew meat will get tender)
* Stir occasionally – add 1-2 cups of water IF THICK
* Slowly add cream (to desired coloring – not too light as it will affect the taste of the soup)
* Allow the soup to warm up again – 3-7 minutes
Add the mozzarella cheese to each bowl before serving.
Note: Cheese can be added directly to the pot, but tends to clump up. This way you assure each person has the “cheese”.
Time to serve….
Darlene’s favorite saying: “LOOK FOR THE GOOD IN EVERYONE… YOU WILL FIND IT!”
We agree ! Thanks for sharing Darlene!